Walking and Cycling Maps
|Walking and Cycling Maps|
|Overview of walking tracks|
Timaru District has many walkways, their locations are set out below.
Click on the links below to download details and maps of the walking tracks. Note some tracks have been combined on one information sheet and you will need to scroll through to find the details.
- Caroline Bay Fitness Trail
- Location Map of Timaru Walks 1 - 10 (1023.89 kB)
- Location Map of District Area Walks 11 - 21 (73.09 kB)
- Caroline Bay - Timaru Central (1 hour) - Map 1 (126.32 kB)
- Central Timaru Historic Walk - Timaru Central (30 minutes) - Map 2 (193.06 kB)
- Dashing Rocks - North Timaru (1 hour) - Map 3 (150.82 kB)
- Timaru Botanic Gardens - Timaru South (30 minutes) - Map 4 (164 kB)
- Centennial Park - Timaru West (1.5 hours) - Map 5 (127.57 kB)
- Saltwater Creek/Coonoor Road - Timaru South/West (1 hour 10 minutes) - Map 6 (150.84 kB)
- Redruth Caledonian - Timaru South (1 hour return trip) - Map 7 (171.31 kB)
- Otipua Wetlands - Timaru South (1 hour) - Map 8 (149.1 kB)
- Otipua Creek - Timaru South (30 minutes) - Map 9 (122.51 kB)
- South Beach Coastal Track - Timaru South (20 minutes) - Map 10 (113.74 kB)
- Pareora River - Evans Crossing (1 hour 20 minutes return) - Map 11 (121.68 kB)
- Claremont Bush - Claremont (30 minutes) - Map 12 (160.71 kB)
- Pleasant Point Stream (20 minutes) and Domain (40 minutes) - Map 13 - 14 (121.76 kB)
- Waitohi Bush - Pleasant Point, Kowhai Track (45 minutes), Cabbage Tree Track (20 minutes) - Map 15 (153.69 kB)
- Opihi Walkway - Pleasant Point (3 hours 1 way) - Map 16 (121.76 kB)
- Taumatakahu Stream (10 minutes) and Temuka Domain (45 minutes) - Map 17 - 18 (128.38 kB)
- Waihi River - Geraldine (30 minutes) - Map 19 (123.4 kB)
- Pekapeka Gully Track - Geraldine (1 hour) - Map 20 (176.51 kB)
- Ribbonwood Track - Geraldine (1 hour) - Map 21 (122.34 kB)
Below is a brief overview of some of our walking tracks.
Centennial Park - Timaru West (1.5 hours) Map 5 (127.57 kB)
Entry is via the Bowker Gateway in Otipua Road opposite the western end of Church Street. The walkway begins at the bottom of the hill over the pedestrian bridge and continues for up to an hour through Centennial Park to Claremont Road and Gleniti Road. Points of interest include old quarries and the picnic area and recreational lake.
The Centennial Park gates will be closed daily.
May - July 6pm
November - February 10pm
The gates will be opened daily at 6am.
Please ensure your vehicle is removed before closing time.
If your vehicle is locked in contact: CHUBB SECURITY 027 4390 3783.
This walkway commences on the beach beside the Caledonian Grounds and heads in a southerly direction through sand dunes before crossing the main truck railway line and Saltwater Creek. It then turns in a westerly direction following the Creek along the rowing course to State Highway 1. (30 minutes to this point)
After crossing State Highway 1 adjacent to the bridge, the walkway continues to follow Saltwater Creek upstream providing some picturesque views until the Coonoor Road stone bridge is reached. (A further 30 minutes walk)
Dashing Rocks - North Timaru (1 hour) Map 3 (150.82 kB)
This walkway commences at the end of Moore Street with magnificent views over Caroline Bay and the city. It follows the cliff top around to see waves crashing against the basalt columns at the headland before returning through grazed land to Pacific Street. This takes about 15-20 minutes.
Temuka has an attractive walkway along the banks of the Taumatakahu Stream (128.38 kB). The walkway starts in Wilkin Street and follows the stream east to Fox Street for approximately 30 minutes.
A short walkway follows the stream from Runa Terrace (121.76 kB)to the adventure playground in Te Ngawai Road.
The Waihi River (123.4 kB) walkway follows the river up stream from the War Memorial in Talbot Street for approximately 30 minutes to the site of the old flume.
A 40 minute walk through regenerating native bush is located at Waitohi Bush (153.69 kB) on the corner of Galbraith and Gully Bush Roads. This reserve is 10 minutes drive north of Pleasant Point. Extensive views are afforded from the start of this walkway.
At Claremont Bush (160.71 kB) a 20 minute walk through native bush can be found. This walk is undulating and of moderate to east gradient. Claremont Bush can be access from Claremont Bush Road which is off Holme Station Road approximately 10 minutes west of the Timaru Boundary.