Thinking about standing for local elections?
Deciding to play a significant role in your local community by running for local election is a big decision. The videos that follow will give you an insight in to what you can expect in each of the various roles you might choose to put yourself forward for in the 2019 Elections. You’ll be hearing from real people - with real experience.
Standing for Local Elections
The following video aims to introduce you to the elected member roles available to you, including a description of what elected members do. By the end of this 25 minute video you will be able to:
- Clarify the value of the elected member role and what can be achieved
- Describe the three types of local authority, and the roles within each
- Consider what elected members actually do.
Required Skills and Behaviours
The following video aims to help you think about what skills you will need to have and behaviours you will need to display as an elected member and what sort of support will be available to help. By the end of this 6 minute video you will be able to:
- Review the important skills needed to be an elected member and what behaviours you will need to display
- Clarify the value of diversity around the council table
- Think about what sort of things you might like to learn more about.
How Councils Work
The following video aims to help you find out about how councils work and are funded. By the end of this 16 minute video you will be able to:
- Describe how councils operate and are funded
- Explain how councils make decisions
- Find out about elected members’ pay.
The following video aims to help you understand the next steps to take, if you have decided to stand for local elections. By the end of this 3 minute video you will be able to:
- Explain how the electoral process works
- Complete the local election nomination requirements
- Think about the types of campaigning methods that will work for you.
First Days as an Elected Member
To give you an idea of what to expect if you are successfully elected. By the end of this 5 minute video you will be able to:
- Describe what happens in the first month after the election if you are elected
- Get important dates into your diary so that you are available for those essential first meetings.
Publish Date: 14 Jun 2019