Code Compliance Certificates & Certificates for Public Use

Code Compliance Certificate (CCC)

Code Compliance Certificate considerations are pursuant to Section 94 and 436 of the Building Act 2004.

An application for Code Compliance Certificate (CCC) must be made as soon as practicable after ALL consented building work is completed. This also includes all drainage of hard surfacing as indicated on the submitted plans.

When the CCC application has been received, there is a statutory requirement for the BCA to issue the CCC within 20 working days. Should the Council require further information before the CCC can be issued, the application will be suspended until that information is provided. A "stop the clock" system is used during the suspension to keep track of the 20 working day time period for the processing of the application.

Should no application for Code Compliance Certificate be made within two years of the date the building consent was granted, or any further period that may be agreed between the owner and the Council, the Council must decide whether or not to issue the CCC. We are therefore keen to hear from you if your construction is going to be held up for any reason. It may be necessary to request a Time Extension by completing Application for Extension of Time.

In addition to satisfying the requirements, all fees, eg for additional inspections, amendments, development contributions, must be paid for prior to the issue of a Code Compliance Certificate

Receiving your Code compliance Certificate means that all the consented building work has been completed and complies with the Building Consent. This is the document you need to have to verify that you have a compliant building or building work. This has also become a very important document for other reasons such as Bank mortgages and Insurance.

Restricted Building Work and ROW

Section 92 of the Building Act states that the owner or CCC applicant must include with a CCC application, any Memorandum (Record of Building Work) provided by LBPs.

It is the responsibility of the trade LBPs to ensure their Memorandum (Record of Building Work) identifies all of the RBW that they have constructed/altered.

It is the responsibility of the owner to include all records of work which collectively identify all the RBW in the CCC application.

Extension of Time

If it looks like you will not be able to commence building within 12 months of the issuing of the consent or complete ALL works within the two year period, then a Time Extension is required. You should make an Application for Extension of Time.

Certificate for Public Use (CPU)

A Certificate for Public Use (CPU) can be issued by the Council if it is satisfied that a premises is safe for members of the public to use, before a CCC is issued.

You can only apply for a CPU if a building consent has been granted and you will still need to apply for a CCC once the building work has been completed.

You must have a CPU if the general public are to have access to all or parts of the building (either during construction or on completion) before a CCC is issued. If you don't have a CPU you could face significant fines if members of the public are allowed access to the premise.

Anyone who owns, occupies or controls premises intended for public use may apply for a CPU. To apply for a CPU you need to download and complete the Form 15 application.

A CPU inspection also needs to be booked to allow a Building Inspector to assess whether the building is safe for public use.

Specified Intended Life

A specified intended life of a building means the period of time for which the building is proposed to be used for its intended use. Generally this period would be for a minimum of 50 years as this is the requirement under the building code for any structural elements.

Code Compliance - Extension of life

Section 116:

If you intend on extending the specified life of a building, you must obtain written consent from council.

Code Compliance - Subdivision

Section 116A:

Subdivision affecting a building (Section 116a of the New Zealand Building Act) Council may not issue a certificate under section 224(f) of the Resource Management Act 1991 for the purpose of subdividing a building or part of a building, unless satisfied, on reasonable grounds that the building will comply as nearly as is reasonably practicable, with every provision of the building code that relates to means of access from fire, access and facilities for persons with disabilities (if required under section 118), protection of other property and will continue to comply with the other provisions of the building code to at least the same extent as it did before the subdivision application was made.