Selling food - Mobile food premises

Environmental Health

Mobile shop means a vehicle (whether self-propelled or not) from which:

  • goods are offered or exposed for sale; or
  • goods may be ordered; or
  • services are offered for sale.

It does not include any vehicle:

  • from which food is sold for consumption in or at the vehicle; or
  • used for the purpose of transporting and delivering (ordered) goods

Operating a Mobile Food Premise

For advice on operating a mobile food premise, please contact the Council before proceeding. The following departments can assist:

  • Environmental Health Unit - For information on legislative requirements regarding mobile shops and Market/Event stall applications
  • Bylaws Officer - For advice on public place trading
  • Parks and Recreation - For advice regarding sites in parks or reserves and Council organised events

An operator needs to comply with the Public Places Bylaw and any other legislation. You should apply to the Bylaws Officer for a public place trader licence should you wish to trade in a public place or street that is under council control.

Applying for a Mobile Food Premises Licence

Please refer to Selling food – Businesses for guidance on registering a food business under the Food Act 2014.

Last updated: 24 Feb 2021