Overweight & Over-Dimension Vehicles

Road Permits

Vehicles heavier or larger than the standard dimensions will need special permits to travel on the road. This is to protect the District's road network.

For overweight vehicles, there are strict controls on the overall weight and axle loads of vehicles. If your vehicle exceeds the limits because of the indivisible load that is being carried, or because of the vehicle's design, then an overweight permit is required to be applied for before travel is allowed.

To apply for an overweight permit, complete an NZTA overweight permit application form and send it to the Timaru District Council.

For an overdimension vehicle permit, contact the Overdimension Permit Issuing Agency (OPIA), Freephone on 0800 OVERSIZE (0800 683 774), or fax (06 953 6313). For more information on Overdimension vehicles, refer to the New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) website.

High Productivity Motor Vehicle (HPMV) Permits will only be approved for suitable vehicles carrying divisible loads of economic importance, such as logs, milk powder or freight. Permitted vehicles must also be able to travel on routes that are suitable for vehicle and load being approved. Apply for an HPMV permit, via the NZTA website.

Last updated: 23 Jun 2020