The Timaru District Active Transport Strategy aims to improve, develop and encourage active transport, such as walking and cycling, as a healthy and sustainable alternative to motorised transport for the whole district.
Sustainable transport choices are now being actively encouraged as an alternative to vehicles, and to reverse the negative impacts on our community, health and environment from the dominance of motor vehicle travel. The aim is not to restrict people's use of the motor vehicle, but provide realistic and easily accessible sustainable transport choices including walking, cycling and public transport.
The main purpose of this strategy is to improve, integrate, update and develop Active Transport in Timaru District by:
- Establishing a strategic direction and policies for active transportation for the short (3 year), medium (3 to 10 year) and longer term (to 2041) time horizons;
- Identify active transport projects, recommend investigation, and recommend implementation;
- Identify funding, resources, and potential implementation timelines;
- Identify the related national, regional, and local strategies, plans, and policies that influence the strategy;
- Improve connectivity and mobility in the district.
Publish Date: 28 Mar 2014