Working in the Road corridor

Roads, Transport & Parking

In this section

Under the provisions of the Local Government Act 2002, the Road Controlling Authority (RCA) is required to ensure that sufficient safety precautions are in place to protect the general safety of the public, traffic, and workers employed on or near any of the roads of which the Council is custodian.

The National Code of Practice for Utility Operators' Access to Transport Corridors is now a legislated requirement under the Utilities Access Act 2010. All contractors and service providers (such as drain-layers, plumbers, electricians, telecommunications contractors, builders, developers, others) must comply with the National Code of Practice when planning any work that requires any work done in the road corridor (boundary fence to boundary fence, including berms and footpaths).

If you are proposing to undertake work within/on the road corridor, you will need to obtain consent from Council before commencing work. This is done by submitting a Services Consent application (if applicable) and a separate Corridor Access Request (CAR), and if any excavations are to be undertaken, a "BeforeUDig" inquiry is to be made to check for locations of any underground services. Applications should be made at least 20 working days prior to your intended start date. Any obstructions to the work such as trees, stormwater drains, power poles, or signs, in liaison with the asset owners, are to be removed or relocated at the property owner's expense.

Some of these "Working in the Road Corridor" works are:

  • A vehicle crossing (driveway) Construction or reconstruction, installing culverts;
  • Drainage work Stormwater, wastewater, or water pipes;
  • Services Gas, power, cables, trenches, cabinets, poles;
  • Trenching works;
  • Work within the footpaths, berm or shoulder of the road;
  • Planting a tree or tree work scaffolding;
  • Crane work.
  • Private underground services (ie Irrigation, stock water, effluent pipelines etc.)

Last updated: 24 Feb 2021