Corridor Access Request

Working in the Road corridor

The National Code of Practice for Utility Operators' Access to Transport Corridors defines the set of standards for working in the road and the Corridor Access Request (CAR) processes. There are two types of CAR permits:

  • Non-Excavation Corridor Access Request (NECAR);

Activities may include but are not limited to:

  • Operating or parking machinery such as cranes, cherry pickers, and water blasters;
  • Placing a skip/bin or container;
  • Erecting a temporary scaffolding mobile or fixed;
  • Applying for a full or partial road or footpath closure to carry out work on or above the road.
  • Corridor Access Request (CAR).

Activities may include but are not limited to:

  • Any activity that will alter the surface of the road corridor;
  • The placement of any material or structure below, on, or above the road corridor;
  • A new vehicle crossing;
  • A modification to a currently existing vehicle crossing.

As part of the CAR application, customers may be required to submit a traffic management plan. This is for any activities that vary the normal operating condition of any part of the road corridor, such as, if the proposed work will prevent normal pedestrian access on the footpath, or normal use of a vehicle driving or parking lane. This is done to protect your work site, contractors, and the public during the work period.

Before undertaking work in the road corridor, you must make a Corridor Access Request (CAR) and receive a Works Access Permit (WAP) from Council. This is done through the "BeforeUDig" website. Fees charged is to cover the processing of the request, checking and authorising the Traffic Management Plans, issuing the WAP, multiple site inspections, and administering the sign off and maintenance period for any reinstatements.

Last updated: 23 Jun 2020