Vehicle Crossings

Working in the Road corridor

If you are building a new vehicle crossing (driveway) or making any modification to any such existing vehicle crossing, you will need to submit a Services Consent Application to Council to construct a vehicle crossing. An application for a Corridor Access Request (CAR) is also required where temporary traffic management plans are required to be submitted. The required approvals are required before you can start building or modifying a vehicle crossing. For any new vehicle crossing or making any modification to any existing vehicle crossing adjoining a State Highway will require the approval from New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA).

The property owner is responsible for the cost of constructing and maintaining the vehicle crossing that complies to Timaru District Council's standards. In rural properties where a culvert pipe is located under the vehicle crossing, it is the property owner's responsibility to ensure the pipe is kept clear and does not cause a flooding nuisance or damage to the road..

Last updated: 23 Jun 2020