Section 36(2) of the Resource Management Act (RMA) 1991 requires Council to seek public feedback on its proposed fees and charges.
When fixing Fees and Charges under Section 36 (RMA), Council is required to consider:
- Recovering reasonable costs for the service
- Recovering costs from those who benefit from the services
Regarding reasonable costs, Council is proposing no change to the majority of the Resource Management Act Fees and Charges for the year 1 July 2016 – 30 June 2017. The only changes proposed are:
- Introducing a new category of staff charge ‘Other Council Staff’ at a rate of $130 per hour
- Increasing the Bond application fee from $320 to $350.
Regarding the balance between individual benefit and the community benefit, Council is proposing that there continue to be 100% of the cost of services paid by the affected individual rather than some of this cost being apportioned to the general ratepayer.
Resource Management Act Proposed Fees
The District Planning Unit of Council has a variety of functions that have an element of cost recovery. While some charges are set by statute, other statutes give local authorities the power to set charges.
This proposal considers fees and charges for:
- Resource consents: processing, monitoring and enforcing, administration;
- Resource Management Act planning documents
- A range of other District Planning matters
Each financial year the Council reviews the fees and charges to ensure that:
- those who benefit from the services of the resource consent activity pay a fair and reasonable share of the costs of these services; and
- the fees and charges reflect any changes in the cost of providing these services; and
- the fees and charges align with Council’s Revenue and Financing policy.
Section 101(3) of the Local Government Act 2002 and Section 36 (4) of the Resource Management Act 1991 provide that charges can be set for regulatory functions.
You can read the full Statement of Proposal below:
- Resource Management Act Fees Summary Statement of Proposal (pdf, 841.9 KB updated 07-Nov-2016)
- RMA Fees Statement of Proposal (PDF, 2.8 MB updated 07-Nov-2016)
Make a submission
SUBMISSIONS HAVE NOW CLOSED.
The proposal is now open for your feedback. To let us know what you think:
- Make your submission online here (quick and easy!)
- Download the submission form and send it into Council
- Email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Write us a letter and send to RMA Fees Submission, Freepost Authority No. 95136, PO Box 522, Timaru 7940
Comments are welcome from Thursday 14 April to 5pm, Monday 16 May.
RMA Fees consultation process
The consultation timetable is:
|14 April 2016||Submissions open|
|16 May 2016||Submissions close at 5pm|
|To be determined||Council considers submissions|
|28 June 2016||Council decisions on fees to be charged|
|1 July 2016||New fees apply|
Below is supporting information related to the RMA Fees:
Proposed RMA Fees 2016/17
Table 1 Lodgement Fees
|Lodgement Fees (Deposit)||2015/16||Proposed 2016/17|
|Limited Notified (service only) Consent||$3,000.00||$3,000.00|
|Non-notified Subdivision Consent||$700.00||$700.00|
|Non-notified Land Use Consent which includes a monitoring fee for a single site inspection||$900.00||$900.00|
|Non-notified Subdivision Consent - Change to Flats Plan or Unit Title||$700.00||$700.00|
|Right of Way Approval (not included in Subdivision Consent)||$650.00||$650.00|
|Revocation of Easements and Consent Notices (not included in Subdivision Consent)||$525.00||$525.00|
|Existing Allotments Section 226 Certificate (new titles created)||$525.00||$525.00|
|Section 223 Certificate (survey plan approval)||$410.00||$410.00|
|Section 224(c) Certificate||$410.00||$410.00|
|Section 224(c) Certificate including Section 223 Certificate||$410.00||$410.00|
|Removal of Building Line Restriction||$640.00||$640.00|
|Certificates of Compliance||$640.00||$640.00|
|Change or Cancellation of Conditions||$525.00||$525.00|
|Existing Use Rights and Existing Use Certificate||$525.00||$525.00|
|Extension of Time||$480.00||$480.00|
|Waiver of Outline Plan||Actual cost||Actual cost|
|Alteration to a Designation||$1,100.00||$1,100.00|
|Extension of Time to a Designation||$1,100.00||$1,100.00|
|Notice of Requirements for Designations or Heritage Order||$5,100.00||$5,100.00|
|Certificates for LMVD||$640.00||$640.00|
|Certificates under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012||$155.00||$155.00|
|Overseas Investment Office Certificate||Actual cost||Actual cost|
Staff time conducting assessments, attending meeting(s) and writing correspondence prior to the lodgement of specific resource consent application(s) and private plan change(s).
|Actual cost after first half hour free||Actual cost after first half hour free|
Table 2 Charge Rates
|Staff time rate:|
|District Planning Manager||$160.00 per hour||$160.00 per hour|
|Senior Planner||$130.00 per hour||$130.00 per hour|
|Planner||$110.00 per hour||$110.00 per hour|
|Development Planning Advisor||$110.00 per hour||$110.00 per hour|
|Administration Staff||$90.00 per hour||$90.00 per hour|
|Other Council Staff||-||$130.00 per hour|
|Public Notices||At Cost||At Cost|
|Disbursements||At Cost||At Cost|
|Consultants/Legal Advice (including Aoraki Environmental Consultancy)||At Cost||At Cost|
|Commissioning Special Reports||At Cost||At Cost|
|Charge Rates if monitoring of resource consent is required (imposed as a condition of a resource consent):|
|Single Site Inspection (to be paid with the lodgement fee for Non-notified Land Use Consent)||$200.00||$200.00|
|Additional monitoring of resource consents and monitoring of non-compliance with the Timaru District Plan or the Resource Management Act 1991||At Cost||At Cost|
|Hearings Committee||$100.00 per hour for the chairperson|
$80.00 per hour per member who is not the chairperson
|$100.00 per hour for the chairperson|
$80.00 per hour per member who is not the chairperson
|Commissioner||At Cost||At Cost|
|Timaru District Plan||$200.00 + postage||$200.00 + postage|
|Annual update service to the District Plan||$150.00 per year||$150.00 per year|
|District RAPID Numbers (book)||$75.00||$75.00|
|Allocation of new Rapid Number (includes Plate)||$50.00||$50.00|
|Replacement Rapid Number Plate||$25.00||$25.00|
- Section 36 of the Resource Management Act 1991 enables Council to charge additional fees to recover actual and reasonable costs where the Lodgement Fee is inadequate.
- When the total cost to process an application exceeds the Lodgement Fee in Table One, the additional fees are charged at the rates specified in Table Two of this fee schedule.
- The Council also reserves its discretion to refund part of the fixed fee if the work required to process the application is less than usual.
- The Lodgement Fee will be required to accompany the application. An invoice will be sent for any additional fees. The Lodgment Fee is a deposit only and may not be the complete charge. There may be additional fees or a part refund as explained above.
- Discounts shall be paid on administrative charges for applications for resource consent and applications to change or cancel conditions that are not processed within the statutory timeframes. The discounts shall be in accordance with the Regulations to the Resource Management Act 1991.
- All Charges include GST