The Civil Defence Response team is a group of comitted volunteers who give their time to helping the local community in time of need. In the event of a natural disaster or significant emergency, Our team may get deployed to assist when other emergency services are stretched and need further assistance.
Training happens every Tuesday night from 7pm – 9pm, rain or shine. We have a training base at the Botanical Gardens and often train offsite where we have an equipment trailer that carries all our tools required. We may from time to time have a team exercise on a weekend just to keep our skills up to speed.
We have training support from LandSAR, FENZ, St John's and EMTC who offer a variety of courses to our team.
We're seeking volunteer recruits!
Are you interested in learning rescue techniques?
Our training includes, but is not limited to:
- Rope & stretcher work
- General Rescue (including Rescue at Heights & Light USAR (Urban Search & Rescue)
- First Aid, Radio Communications, Movement Control, Flood Response and Storm Response.
- NZQA qualifications.
- A close knit, committed team, keen to share knowledge and skillsets
- Excellent training, including NZQA courses – at base and off-site
- Uniform - full PPE kit and gear bag
- Transport, accommodation and travel when required, to attend other training courses and exercises
- Good networks with local agencies for group training and exercises
- Fun, great experiences and a chance for you to help your community
Want to be involved?
We meet Tuesday nights 7-9pm at our CD Base in the Timaru Botanic Gardens, Queen Street.
To apply now, please click the link below.
Requirements: Minimum age 16 and a clean Police record.