Overweight and over-dimension vehicles
Vehicles heavier or larger than the standard dimensions will need special permits to travel on the road. This is to protect the District's road network.
Applying for an overweight permit
For overweight vehicles, there are strict controls on the overall weight and axle loads of vehicles. If your vehicle exceeds the limits because of the indivisible load that is being carried, or because of the vehicle's design, then an overweight permit is required before travel is allowed.
- Refer to the Waka Kotahi New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) website on overweight permit types
- Complete an NZTA overweight permit application form
Applying for an over-dimension permit
Over-dimension vehicles and loads need to follow additional requirements before travelling on our roads. This is so they can travel on the road safely – for example, get around corners and fit under bridges.
- Refer to the Waka Kotahi New Zealand Transport Agency website on over-dimension vehicles
- Complete an over-dimension permit application form
Applying for a high productivity motor vehicle (HPMV) permit
High productivity motor vehicle (HPMV) permits will only be approved for suitable vehicles carrying divisible loads of economic importance, such as logs, milk powder or freight. Permitted vehicles must also be able to travel on routes that are suitable for vehicle and load being approved.
- Refer to the Waka Kotahi New Zealand Transport Agency website on HPMV permits
- Complete an HPMV permit application form on the Waka Kotahi New Zealand Transport Agency website
Last updated: 26 Jul 2021