Temuka Domain is the largest urban park in the Timaru District, covering nearly 75 hectares. It borders the southern residential area of the town east of the railway line and covers the area between the Temuka River and Domain Avenue.
The history of the Domain goes back to pre-European times when Maori travelled between the Opihi River mouth and Arowhenua via the lower river terraces and crossed the river at a point near the present railway bridge.
The Temuka Domain has many stately trees scattered throughout and a small area of native bush, known as Gunnions Bush, because it was planted in 1910 by Mr T Gunnion.
Many sporting clubs are located in the Domain, with the following outdoor sports played:
The Alpine Energy Stadium also provides an indoor sports venue and meeting lounge.
The Temuka Holiday Park is capable of accommodating over 1,000 campers in peak season and has been a popular holiday destination with the many facilities and river adjacent.
A skate park, mini golf course, children's playground and aviary provide additional facilities in attractive surroundings with colourful gardens. Historical monuments including a war memorial add to the interest of a visit to the Temuka domain.