Frequently Asked Questions


Lost or found or wandering dog - what should I do?

Advise the Council on 03 687 7200. An accurate description of the dog and the  whereabouts would be helpful, together with contact details for yourself so that you can be contacted if necessary after you have called. You can also contact radio stations The Breeze 03 961 3222 and The Hits 03 684 8152.

I've misplaced or broken my registration tag - what should I do?

Contact the Council offices in Timaru, Temuka or Geraldine and a new one will be issued for a $2.00 fee.

When do I pay my registration fee?

  • All dogs over 3 months of age must be registered
  • Notices for renewal of registration are posted in late June for payment by 31st July. A 50% penalty is added if not paid on time. Unfortunately "Selected Owner" status and the associated reduced fee will be lost if the registration is not paid on time.

Can I part pay my registration fee?

No, the fee must be paid in full as one payment. If you have more than one dog you may register them one at a time.

How do I pay an infringement/fine?

If you have received an infringement notice you should carefully read the details of your rights and obligations on the reverse of the notice.

  • The infringement fee cannot be paid by instalments and must be paid in full (one payment) to the Council within 28 days of the notice's date of issue
  • Payment may be made in person to Council's offices in Timaru, Temuka or Geraldine
    • Or by posting a cheque to the Council with the Notice, or the details of the Notice including the Notice number.
    • Or  through internet banking to Council's bank account number 02-0888-0269159-00 with the following details:
      • Reference field = "IN"
      • Code field = "Notice Number"
      • Particulars field = "Name of person making payment"
  • If the infringement is not paid within 28 days, the Council will send a reminder, allowing another 28 days for payment,  before referring the unpaid fine to Court for collection.Once a notice has been referred to Court, the fee can no longer be paid to the Council
  • If you have an infringement that has been referred to the Court, you should contact the Court to check the amount owing which will have increased due to the addition of  the court lodgement fee. Some collection fees may also have been added. Any payment arrangement at this point would be made with the Court.

I am visiting from another District with my dog - Do I need to let you know?

If you are here for more than six weeks, you will need to come in and swap the tag for a Timaru District one at no charge and  fill out a registration form. You will be able to swap the registration back when you go home.

Last updated: 20 Jul 2021