Land Information Memorandums

Rates & Property

What is a LIM?

A LIM reports on information that the Council knows about a property from its records. The report is prepared in accordance with the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987 and includes the information set out in Section 44A.

It does not provide interpretation of this information or advice on how to interpret or utilise this information. Your own independent and appropriate professional advice should be sought.

It includes information on:

  • rates
  • building related information
  • resource consents
  • heritage buildings,structures and sites
  • significant trees
  • natural areas
  • resource consents issued in the immediate neighbourhood
  • current requisitions issued by the Council on the property
  • drainage information on sewer and stormwater
  • water supply
  • special characteristics of the land
  • registrations and licences

Why would you request a LIM?

The information contained in a LIM includes information that may assist you in your decision to purchase a property in the Timaru District.

Environment Canterbury may also have information regarding the property and a request for this information can be made by visiting the Land Information Request page on the Environment Canterbury website.

How do I order a LIM?

Use our Online Request option or print the LIM Application Form from the Related Information section, and send it to us.

How much does a LIM cost?

Please visit the LIM fees and charges page to view this information.

How can I pay for a LIM?

You can pay by credit card if ordered through the website, by internet transfer at bank account number 02-0888-0269159-00 using "LIM" as a reference, the address in the "Code" and your name/company in the particulars. You can also come in to a service centre and pay by cash, cheque or eftpos.

How long will it take?

LIMs will be processed within 10 working days.

Can I cancel a LIM after I've ordered it?

You can cancel a LIM within 1 business day of lodging it. No cancellations will be accepted after that. If you have paid for it prior to a cancellation, the payment will be credited to you.

How is a LIM different to viewing the Building / Drainage File at the Council?

A LIM contains all the information the Council knows about a property.

The Building / Drainage File contains information on building consents and drainage plans which is only part of the information Council holds about a property.

Last updated: 24 Feb 2021