The Rates Rebate Scheme is a partial rebate for eligible low income ratepayers who pay rates on their home to Council.
Are you eligible?
- You pay rates on the address you live at
- You were living there at the start of the rating year (1 July 2022)
- Your name is on the rates bill
The rates rebate will be calculated on your household income, total rates and the number of dependents living with you on 1 July 2022.
A quick way to check your eligibility is to visit www.govt.nz/rates-rebates and use the online rebate calculator.
If you received a rebate for the previous year you will receive a letter from us prompting you to telephone to make an appointment, you will need to allow about 15 minutes for this.
You can make an appointment by telephoning:
|Timaru District Council Offices||03 687 7200|
|Geraldine Library Service Centre||03 693 9336|
|Temuka Library Service and Information Centre||03 687 7591|
To Complete the Application Form Yourself
Application forms are available from our Council offices/service centres, or if you have access to the internet a form can be downloaded here: www.govt.nz/rates-rebates
Before submitting your application to us, please check the following:
- You have completed all sections of the rates rebate application form
- You have signed and dated the application form
You can email your application form to us at email@example.com
You will be required to provide accurate information about your income and that of any partner/joint home owner who lives with you, for the tax year 1 April 2021 – 31 March 2022.
- NZ Superannuation
- Personal Superannuation (includes overseas)
- Portfolio investments (PIE income)
- Wages or Salary
- Work and Income Benefits
- Work and Income Supplements (eg Accommodation Supplement)
- Working for Families Tax Credits
- Rental Income
- Trust Income
- ACC earnings compensation
- Net Business Income
- Overseas Income (converted to $NZ)
- Income from other sources
Proof of income may be required.
More information is available from the New Zealand Government website:
You have until 30 June 2023 to apply for the 2022/2023 rates rebate.