The Rates Rebate Scheme is a partial refund for people who pay rates to the Council and whose rates are high in relation to their income. The scheme is centrally funded by government and administered by local councils throughout New Zealand.
Comprehensive information is available from the Department of Internal Affairs website.
Are you eligible?
- You pay rates on the address you live at
- You were living there at the start of the rating year (1 July 2021)
- Your name is on the rates bill
The calculation used to determine your rates rebate takes into account your income, number of dependents and the amount of rates you pay.
Application Forms and Enquiries
Timaru District Council
2 King George Place
Telephone (03) 687 7200
Geraldine Library Service Centre
78 Talbot Street
Telephone (03) 693 9336
Temuka Library Service and Information Centre
Telephone (03) 687 7591
We have found that the most efficient way to process an application is for the applicant to complete the form in conjunction with a staff member. You need to allow about 15 minutes for this and can make an appointment by telephoning:
Timaru District Council (03) 687 7200
Geraldine Library Service Centre 693 9336
Temuka Library Service and Information Centre 687 7591
If you received a rebate for the previous year you will receive a letter in early August prompting you to telephone for an appointment.
Download an application form from www.dia.govt.nz/Services-Rates-Rebate-Scheme-Index
Before sending in your application please check the following to make sure everything is included
- You have completed all sections of the rates rebate application form
- You have signed and dated the application
- For the tax year 1 April 2020 - 31 March 2021
- Income is assessed on the tax year previous to the current year
- Income means money received, before tax, 1st April 2020 to 31 March 2021
- Proof of income may be required
- Source of income for the year ended 31 March 2021 eg NZ Superannuation, Work and Income benefits, Working for Families Tax Credits (excludes Family Tax Credits), wages or salary, rental income, interest/dividends, other etc.
- Your council rates for year ended 30 June 2022:
The calculation is: Timaru District Council Rates levied plus Ecan Rates levied.