The Rates Rebate Scheme helps people whose rates are high in relation to their income. The scheme is centrally funded by government and administered by local councils throughout New Zealand.
Comprehensive information is available from the Department of Internal Affairs website.
This website link gives you the ability to:
- See the key details for the current year
- Download an application form
- Use an electronic calculator to check if you might be eligible
- View The Rates Rebate Act 1973
- View the Schedule of Work and Income Benefits
- Download an Owner – Occupier declaration form
Application Forms and Enquiries
Timaru District Council
2 King George Place
Telephone (03) 687 7200
Geraldine Library Service Centre
78 Talbot Street
Telephone (03) 693 9336
Temuka Library Service and Information Centre
Telephone (03) 687 7591
We have found that the most efficient way to process an application is for the applicant to complete the form in conjunction with a staff member, who is then able to witness the declaration on the form. You need to allow about 15 minutes for this and can make an appointment by telephoning:
Timaru District Council (03) 687 7200
Geraldine Library Service Centre 693 9336
Temuka Library Service and Information Centre 687 7591
If you received a rebate for the previous year you will receive a letter in early August prompting you to telephone for an appointment.
Download an application form from www.dia.govt.nz/Services-Rates-Rebate-Scheme-Index
Before sending in your application please check the following to make sure everything is included
- You have completed all sections of the rates rebate application form
- You have signed and dated the application
- Given this is a statutory declaration you will need your signature witnessed by an "authorised" person. Authorised people include:
- Authorised council officer
- Member of parliament
- Minister of religion
- Justice of the Peace
- Chartered accountant
- Court registrar or deputy registrar
- For the tax year 1 April 2018 to 31 March 2019
- Income is assessed on the tax year previous to the current year
- Income means money received, before tax, 1st April 2018 to 31 March 2019
- Proof of income may be required
- Source of income for the year ended 31 March 2019 eg NZ Superannuation, Work and Income benefits, Working for Families Tax Credits (excludes Family Tax Credits), wages or salary, rental income, interest/dividends, other etc.
- Your council rates for year ended 30 June 2020:
The calculation is: Timaru District Council Rates levied plus Ecan Rates levied minus 2.50% for discount available.