On Licences

Liquor Licensing

An On Licence authorises the holder of the licence to sell and supply alcohol to any person present on the premises described in the licence, for consumption on the premises.

If you are seeking an on-licence for a previously unlicensed premises, you will need to obtain an on-licence before operating your business to sell and supply alcohol on the premises.

If you are seeking a licence for a premises that has previously been licensed and that licence is still current then you may be able to obtain a Temporary Authority. The Temporary Authority enables the premises to lawfully operate while you obtain a licence, and to sell and supply liquor under the same terms and conditions as the current licence. Application forms for a Temporary Authority are available from the District Licensing Committee and should be lodged 20 working days prior to takeover.

The Temporary Authority is valid for three months (providing the existing on-licence remains valid). An On Licence must be applied for within one month of the issue of the temporary authority.

All applications must be submitted to the District Licencing Committee.

There are two categories of Endorsed On Licences:

BYO Endorsed On Licence - allows the consumption of alcohol brought by a customer, who is at that premise for the purpose of dining. A BYO licence does not authorise the licence holder to sell and supply alcohol to patrons.

Caterers Endorsed On Licence - allows a person conducting the business of a caterer to deliver alcohol from the premises described in their licence and to sell it on any other premises for consumption on those premises attending any reception, function, or other social gathering promoted by any person other than the holder of the licence.

Please send completed forms to liquoradmin@timdc.govt.nz

Last updated: 24 Feb 2021