Working in the Road Corridor


If you are organising an event that has any impact on the road corridor, there are a number of things you will need to consider.

What is the road corridor?

The road corridor is the area of land (including the road) between property boundaries:

Road Corridor

What do you need to consider when planning an event that has an impact on the road corridor?

  1. Event traffic management
    • Activities on / in the road must be planned to minimise disruptions, delays, or inconveniences to road users and maintain safety. The Timaru District Council's Land Transport Unit requires Temporary Traffic Management (TTM) for any activity that occupies the road corridor or affects normal vehicular or pedestrian traffic.
    • Depending on your event you will need to complete a corridor access request and a traffic management plan – contact Timaru District Council on 03 687 7200 or email for advice on your requirements.
  2. Applying for a temporary road closure
  • If a temporary road closure is required for an event, event organisers must apply for this at least 50 working days (10 weeks) prior to the event. This is to ensure compliance with Transport (Vehicular Traffic Road Closure) Regulations 1965 and the Local Government Act, under which notice of the intention to close a road must be advertised at least 42 days before the proposed period of closure. It is a legal requirement that road closures are advertised to the public and the event organiser is required to pay for all advertising costs.
  • To apply for a road closure, in the first instance contact Timaru District Council on 03 687 7200 or email
  • You will need to complete a temporary traffic management plan as part of your application for road closure.

Other considerations when planning your event:

Getting permission to hold your event

  • To find out more about permissions required to hold your event, phone Council on 03 687 7200 or email
  • If you wish to hold an event in one of the Facilities or Parks  managed by Timaru District Council,  see this webpage for how to make a booking

Health and safety at your event

  • Event organisers are responsible for the health and safety of participants and spectators at their events. Smaller events will require completion and monitoring of a risk register, while larger or more complex events will require completion and monitoring of a health and safety plan.
  • For further guidance on the health and safety requirements for your event, contact Timaru District Council on 03 687 7200 or email

Licences you may require for your event

  • Special licences are required for the sale and supply of certain items, like food and alcohol, at events. You can read more about special licences on this webpage.

Waste management at your event

  • Visit the Zero Waste Events page for more information about assistance provided by Timaru District Council for waste management at events.

Public liability insurance

  • All event hosts must have public liability insurance. This may be held by the host organisation itself, be obtained specifically for the event, or event hosts may pay a fee to utilise Timaru District Council’s public liability insurance.

Last updated: 26 Jul 2021