Planning to Work in the Road Corridor?

Working in the Road Corridor

Planning to work in the road corridor?

In New Zealand there are a set of standards that must be adhered to when working in the road corridor, and processes that must be followed when conducting this work.

If you’re planning to carry out any activity that affects the operation of the road, footpath or berm, you must make a Corridor Access Request (CAR) and receive a Works Access Permit from Council. This can be done through the BeforeUDig website. Fees charged are to cover the processing of the request, checking and authorising the Traffic Management Plans, issuing the Works Access Permit, multiple site inspections, and administering the sign off and maintenance period for any reinstatements. Information about fees charged for CARs can be found here.

Corridor Access Request (CAR)

A CAR permit is required for the following activities:

  • Digging, drilling, resurfacing, or doing any other activity that will alter, or cause to be altered, the surface of the road corridor.
  • The placement of any material or structure below, on, or above the road corridor (such as pipes)
  • Installing a new stormwater drain that leads into the road corridor
  • Events
  • A new vehicle crossing
  • A modification to a currently existing vehicle crossing
  • Operating or parking machinery such as cranes, cherry pickers, and water blasters
  • Erecting temporary scaffolding - mobile or fixed
  • Applying for a full or partial road or footpath closure to carry out work on or above the road

As part of the CAR application, customers may be required to submit a Traffic Management Plan (TMP)This is for any activities that vary the normal operating condition of any part of the road corridor, such as, if the proposed work will prevent normal pedestrian access on the footpath, or normal use of a vehicle driving or parking lane. This is done to protect your work site, contractors, and the public during the work period.

Apply for a Corridor Access Request at the Before U Dig website here.

Last updated: 16 Oct 2023