Relocating Buildings

A Building Consent is required when you are looking to relocate a building onto a new property or change the location of its current site.

Council needs details of the termination of all services on the old site and any demolition or site works that may be required to move the building.

When you are looking to install a relocated building onto a new site a Building Consent is required for the new building works such as site works, foundations, plumbing and drainage services and any remedial works required by the relocation. Any alterations or additions you are proposing to carry out  must also be covered by a Building Consent.

Note: If the place of origin and the new site are in different districts you will need to apply to councils in both districts for the various approvals required.

Planning Requirements

Resource Consent may be required if you are proposing to relocate an existing building on a new site. When considering an application, the Council will have regard to matters such as the age and design of the building; its soundness; its appearance and the suitability of the buildings for its intended  use.

Other Considerations


Many older dwellings and habitable buildings purchased for relocation do not contain any insulation. The New Zealand Building Code requires all new habitable buildings to be fully insulated to ensure energy efficiency and internal amenity. During relocation is the ideal time to install or upgrade insulation  particularly while you have easy access to subfloor areas.

Pile Layout Plan and Fixings

You must provide a pile layout plan and sub floor bracing calculations with your Building Consent application. The pile layout should show the location of anchor and/or braced piles. Pile to bearer fixings must also be specified on the documents. You should check the corrosion zone that your property is located in and determine the height the fixings will be in relation to the ground level. NZ3604 requires Stainless Steel fixings to be used in corrosion zone 1 and where fixings  are within 600mm of natural ground.

Roof and Walling Fixings

Please be careful when relocating a building to different areas of the city or district as wind, earthquake or snow loadings may vary from the original property. Upgrading the building to allow for new conditions and to protect your property should be a priority.

Site and Transport Hazards

It is your responsibility to ensure you have fully checked the transport route and site for any hazards and obtained all necessary approvals from other agencies for the relocation.

Restricted Building Work (RBW) 

The relocating of a building will include restricted building work.

Services Consent

You will also need to apply for a Services Consent.