Locality Central Timaru, Map No. 2, Time 30 minutes
- Start at the Landing Service Building. Originally used for unloading ships around 1870, this is the only remaining example of such a building in Australasia. It is built of local volcanic basalt, known as bluestone.
- The building on the corner of George Street and Cains Terrace, once Werry's Private Guest Hotel, probably designed by Maurice Duval, a Belgian architect.
- The Theatre Royal was reconverted into a theatre in 1877 by Maurice Duval. It was upgraded in 1992/93 and a new foyer was designed by Barrie Bracefield Consultancy.
- Grosvenor Hotel, redeveloped by architect James Turnbull in 1915 Edwardian Baroque style.
- Shops and offices, Flemish Baroque style was built around 1930.
- Lower Stafford Street has many fine examples of two and three storey commercial buildings of the late Victorian to Edwardian period.
- The Arcade Chambers, a more restrained version of the Edwardian era, is typical of many of the buildings in Timaru. Cast iron columns above allow for maximum glazing of shop fronts.
- The older part of the Council Chambers, originally the Public Library, was designed by Walter Panton and officially opened in 1909.
- Chief Post Office was designed in 1881 by R.A. Lawson. (No longer used as a post office.)
- South Canterbury Museum, opened in 1966, designed by architect, Ron Dohig.
- St Mary's Church, built in local bluestone, was designed by architect, W.B. Arnson.
- Timaru Public Library, designed by architects, Warren and Mahoney and built 1977.
- Upper Stafford Street shows many good examples of small city Victorian and Edwardian buildings. The late Victorian FTC building and Tekapo buildings were designed by James Turnbull.
- Offices on the Terrace are an example of the arts and crafts style.
- The Old Customs House - 1902, architect, D. West. Now a restaurant.
Timaru District Council acknowledges the contribution of David McBride.
Last updated: 16 Dec 2019