What's in your green organics bin?
Your green organics bin is the place to put your garden and food waste. This includes compostable material such as lawn clippings; coffee grounds; leaves; and pizza boxes.
These items GO in your green bin
- Food waste e.g. coffee grounds, eggshells, fish, fruit and vegetable scraps, cheese, meat (raw or cooked) and tea bags.
- Garden waste e.g. branches, flowers, leaves, weeds, and untreated wood.
- Cardboard pizza boxes and fish and chip paper - put any plastic pieces in the red bin.
- Paper handtowels, newspaper, tissues, serviettes and non-brightly coloured shredded paper.
- Animal droppings (wrapped in paper), animal fur and hair.
- Place a stick under the lid in summer to prevent grass fires.
The following should NOT go in your organics bin:
- Plastic bags, wrap, strapping or plant pots.
- Fast food wrappers , bags and boxes with a plastic or wax coating. These go in your red bin.
- Ash (this can go in red bin)
- Treated wood, sawdust, wood shavings, large logs or stumps.
- Lawn clippings which have been sprayed with herbicides.
- Bricks and concrete.
- Flax, palm, cabbage tree and rhubarb leaves.
- Gravel and dirt/soil/
- Metal objects.
Still not sure what goes in your recycling bin? See a comprehensive list and a handy pamphlet below, or see the sticker on the underside of your bin lid.
- What's in your bin?- Brochure (pdf, 367.9 KB updated 24-Feb-2021)
- What can go in your bins? (Comprehensive bin item list) (pdf, 58.1 KB updated 02-Mar-2021)
Last updated: 25 Feb 2021