What is the Draft Growth Management Strategy?
The Draft Growth Management Strategy (Draft GMS) is a 30 year strategy to manage land use growth. The Draft GMS will inform the supply of zoned land provided through the District Plan Review and also how the new District Plan manages growth in existing zoned areas. It will address urban and rural land use growth in the district, including the growth of residential, rural residential, industrial, commercial and recreational activities. The approved GMS will also inform the Long Term Plan, particularly the provision of infrastructure services. It may also inform the provision of infrastructure by non-Council agencies. The Draft GMS aims to give effect to the Canterbury Regional Policy Statement and the National Policy Statement on Urban Development Capacity.
How does the Draft Growth Management Strategy affect me?
The Draft GMS may affect you if you want to subdivide or develop your property in the future. It may also affect you if you are concerned about new development in your area, or how the district and / or your settlement grows.
What phase is the Draft Growth Management Strategy in now?
Note: All submissions will be taken as read at the hearing. Submitters will have a limited time period to clarify their submission at the hearing and to answer questions from the Hearings Panel. The Hearings Panel will be assisted by an Independent Commissioner that will chair the hearing; provide expert advice and help Council draft the final version of the Draft GMS. If Council decides to approve the Draft GMS, it will be adopted as a Council Policy, before being implemented principally through the District Plan Review and the Long Term Plan.
Have Your Say
The Draft GMS is now released for submission and we are seeking your feedback.
Warning: These documents are very large, please be careful when downloading over mobile data! We have made a smaller version of the main document available, which contains lower resolution imagery.
- Public Notice Draft Growth Management Strategy (pdf, 312.5 KB updated 31-Mar-2017)
- Draft Growth Management Strategy Summary (pdf, 30.5 MB updated 31-Mar-2017)
- Draft Growth Management Strategy (pdf, 85.0 MB updated 04-Apr-2017)
- Draft Growth Management Strategy - Smaller Download / Web Format (pdf, 13.3 MB updated 06-Apr-2017)
- Draft Growth Management Strategy Assumptions Report (pdf, 51.2 MB updated 31-Mar-2017)
- Draft Growth Management Strategy Options Report (pdf, 32.5 MB updated 31-Mar-2017)
- Fact Sheet - Neighbourhood Intensification Priority Areas (pdf, 797.5 KB updated 31-Mar-2017)
- Fact Sheet - Rural Residential Growth Areas (pdf, 1.1 MB updated 31-Mar-2017)
Make a Submission
- Draft Growth Management Strategy - Online Submission Form
- Draft Growth Management Strategy - Hard Copy Submission Form (pdf, 273.3 KB updated 31-Mar-2017)
If you have any questions about the Draft GMS, please contact the Planning Duty Officer Jonathan Craig or on 03 687 7200. Alternatively, you can call into a public drop in sessions for a chat.
Public drop in sessions will occur on:
|Monday 1 May 2017|
|Geraldine Library Service Center||5pm - 7:30pm|
|Thursday 4 May 2017|
|Timaru District Council, Main Office, Timaru||11am - 1:30pm|
|Timaru District Council, Main Office, Timaru||5pm - 7:30pm|
Submissions on the Draft GMS close at 4.30 pm on Friday 12 May 2017.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Receive e-mail updates about the Draft GMS by subscribing to the e-mail update service.