Date of birth
9 June 1939 at Cave
Alex and Emily Young
- Pleasant Point District High School
- Timaru Boys High School
- 5 years at ANZ bank in Timaru while also writing for the Timaru Herald under "Dipstick" byline
- General reporting for the Timaru Herald
- In 1961 he travelled to the United Kingdom to do his 'OE' and toured the European formula Junior races, joining Bruce McLaren (world class motor racer) as secretary
- 1963 founded the McLaren Racing Team
- 1967 started a weekly motorsport Diary page in 'Autocar' – the world's most important motoring magazine.
- 1979 established what was to become the world's largest dealership in rare motoring and motor racing books and motor sport memorabilia
- Wrote two autobiographies ('It Beats Working' and 'It Still Beats Working') and 12 motor racing books in total, including biographies of Bruce McLaren, Denny Hulme and Chris Amon.
- Retired back to Christchurch in 2006, still writing monthly motorsporting Diary in 'NZ Classic Car', 'Victory Lane' USA, 'Cars for the Connoisseur' in the UK, "Am Klassiek' in Holland and 'Speed Week' in Switzerland.
Achievements / Honours
- 1993 nominated as one of the few motorsports writers to membership of the select British Racing Drivers' Club
- 1996 winner of the Guild of Motoring Writers Timo Makinen Trophy for outstanding motorsport coverage
Last updated: 06 Nov 2019