Marquees & Amusement Devices

Building Overview


Many of us have attended events that have been held in a Marquee or a tent like structure. These are generally temporary structures only designed for that particular event which could be from a day to a few weeks.

A building consent is required for any marquee exceeding 100m2 in floor area. The use of the marquee can be for the purpose of either a public or private event.

The approval for a Marquee consent is limited to its “specified intended life”. This is generally for the period of time it takes to host the event (eg weddings and sports events) and could be for as little as one day or a few weeks. It is very important to clearly identify the type of event and the period you require the Marquee for within you consent application, as your consent approval will reflect this.

An application for a Marquee shall be submitted through the Simpli portal using the Building Consent Form 2 application.

Important: If the marquee is to be used for more than what has been approved on your consent, you are required to notify the council building team to discuss your options so you can understand what will be involved to do this.

Further information can be found at the MBIE website

What is an Amusement Device

These are generally pleasure rides that are available to the public. They include things like merry-go-rounds and ferris wheels.

Amusement Devices come under the control of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (Labour) and need to be registered by obtaining a Permit to Operate an Amusement Device (Amusement Devices Regulations 1978).

Bouncy castles, inflatable slides and non-powered playground equipment are not Amusement Devices and do not require a permit.

Permit to Operate

Before a registered device is operated, you must apply to the appropriate local authority for a permit.

The applicant must provide:

  • Completed application form (including dates)
  • Certificates of Registration of an Amusement Device
  • Date and time of inspection required
  • Payment - quote fee code 02020.011.0155

The Building Officer will inspect and then issue a Permit to Operate an Amusement Device.

Amusement Device Fees

For 2023/2024
One device, for the first seven days of proposed operation or part thereof$11.50
Each additional device operated by the same owner, for the first seven days or part thereof$2.30
Each device, for each further period of seven days or part thereof$1.15

Amusement device fees are set by legislation.