Building Consent Service Upgrade
We are streamlining and increasing the efficiency and accuracy of our building consent process and are currently progressing to an entirely paperless system.
Recently we have created editable forms online, which ensure forms are completed in full, meaning a more consistent process is followed when accepting information.
While this has required some adjustments to be made by everyone, it was key to enable us to start the next part of our upgrade.
At the end of November this year, we will be changing over to our new consenting platform, the Simpli portal for lodging applications and GoGet for processing and inspecting consents.
Many of you will be familiar with these products as more than half of all councils around the country use them. This will mean that some of you will already have logins to the Simpli portal that you will be able to use for TDC consents. For the rest of you including designers, builders, plumbers and all other trades , I encourage you to go to the Simpli website https://simpli.govt.nz/register and create your login now in preparation for the November change.
It is important to note that as of 27 November 2020, the only way to apply for a Project Information Memorandum (PIM), Building Consent, Amendments, Code Compliance Certificates (CCC) and Certificate of Acceptance (COA) will be online via the Simpli Portal.
Additional and supporting consent documentation including the RFI process, will also be managed through the portal. We will no longer be accepting any hard copy documentation at any part of the consenting process, so it’s important you take time to familiarise yourself with the system.
I appreciate that any change can be challenging, however this move to a newer system will have major benefits to the efficiency of your projects going ahead. I will have further updates for you as we move towards our go live date of 27 November 2020.
Building Control Manager
- Building Act 2004
- Building Regulations Schedule 1 (Building Code)
- Building (Specified Systems, Change the Use, and Earthquake-prone Buildings) Regulations 2005
- Fire and Emergency Act 2017
- Fire Safety and Evacuation of Buildings Regulations 2006
- Resource Management Act 1991
- Heritage NZ Act 2014
- Timaru District Plan
- Timaru District Council Bylaws
Other Useful Websites
- NZ Building Code Handbook
- Building Officials Institute on New Zealand (BOINZ)
- Certified Builders Association of NZ Inc (CBANZ)
- Registered Master Builders (RMB)
- New Zealand Institute of Architects (NZIA)
- Architectural Designers NZ Inc (ADNZ)
- Asbestos Information
- Association of Consulting Engineers (ACENZ)
- BRANZ Ltd
- NZ Institute of Building Surveyors (NZIBS)
- Southern Building Controls Group
- To subscribe to the Building Research Association of NZ (BRANZ) Publications
- To subscribe to the Ministry for Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) Newsletters
Building Related Publications
- Understanding the potential for liquefaction in the Timaru District (pdf, 1.4 MB updated 24-Feb-2021)
- Building Warrant of Fitness Renewal (pdf, 919.5 KB updated 24-Feb-2021)
- Building Warrant of Fitness Audit Flyer (pdf, 177.4 KB updated 24-Feb-2021)
- New Framework for Managing Earthquake Prone Buildings (pdf, 1.8 MB updated 24-Feb-2021)
Got it Nailed Newsletter
- Got It Nailed - April 2018 (pdf, 7.4 MB updated 24-Feb-2021)
- Got It Nailed - December 2017 (pdf, 5.6 MB updated 24-Feb-2021)
- Got it Nailed - October 2017 (pdf, 6.6 MB updated 24-Feb-2021)
- Got it Nailed - July 2017 (pdf, 2.5 MB updated 24-Feb-2021)
- Got it Nailed - March 2017 (pdf, 454.2 KB updated 24-Feb-2021)
- Got it Nailed - September 2016 (pdf, 3.5 MB updated 24-Feb-2021)
- Got it Nailed - June 2016 (pdf, 3.1 MB updated 24-Feb-2021)
- Got it Nailed - March 2016 (pdf, 2.3 MB updated 24-Feb-2021)
- Got it Nailed - December 2015 (pdf, 1.4 MB updated 24-Feb-2021)
- Got it Nailed - September 2015 (pdf, 832.7 KB updated 24-Feb-2021)
- Got it Nailed - June 2015 (pdf, 581.6 KB updated 24-Feb-2021)
- Got it Nailed - March 2015 (pdf, 1.2 MB updated 24-Feb-2021)
- Got it Nailed - December 2014 (pdf, 1.0 MB updated 24-Feb-2021)
- Got it Nailed - September 2014 (pdf, 805.5 KB updated 24-Feb-2021)
- Got it Nailed - July 2014 (pdf, 1.5 MB updated 24-Feb-2021)
- Got it Nailed - March 2014 (pdf, 2.4 MB updated 24-Feb-2021)