- Put out 2 bins each week: your green bin and either the red or yellow bin. See the South Zone calendar or the North Zone calendar to the right for red and yellow bin schedules.
- 80kg maximum weight
- Bins to be out before 6am on collection day
- Close to kerb
- At least 0.5 metres apart
- Handles should face the pavement
- Unobstructed by vehicles, trees or power poles
- Closed lid
- If you have problems with positioning your bin, have special circumstances, or live in units or flats with space constraints, please contact the Council 687 7200
- Your bin is allocated to the property and must stay with the property
|Type of Area|| Rubbish|
|Urban CBD (Commercial)||Weekly||Weekly||Weekly|
Additional bins or different sized bins are available on request to the Council 687 7200 - a charge may apply.
Missed, stolen or damaged bins
Missed in collection, damaged (split side or broken handles), missing or stolen bins, please contact the Council 687 7200. You will be required to pay costs only if the bin is damaged due to negligence.
What goes in each bin?
|NO PLASTICS||NO COMPOST OR WASTE||NO COMPOST OR RECYCLING|
|Animal droppings in paper||Aerosol cans - empty only||Animal droppings in plastic|
|Bones||Aluminium cans||All ash|
|Branches||Aluminium cans - clean only||Band aids / dressings|
|Burger boxes||Books||Batteries - alkaline|
|Butter paper||Bottles and jars - no lids||Bread bags|
|Cereal slops||Cardboard and paperboard||Carbon paper|
|Chicken bones, skins, scraps||Cereal boxes||Cassette tapes|
|Coffee grounds||Coffee cans||Ceramics|
|Dairy products||Computer paper||Cigarette ends|
|Egg shells||Cosmetic jars - clean||Cooking oils and fats|
|Fish and chip paper||Drink cans||Cutlery - plastic|
|Flowers||Envelopes, including window||Disposable nappies|
|Food leftovers, scraps||Foil trays||Drink cartons|
|Food soiled paper||Food cans||Foam boxes / meat trays|
|Fruit and vegetable scraps||Greeting cards||Kitty litter|
|Garden waste||Ice cream containers||Lightbulbs exc. ecobulbs|
|Grass cuttings||Janitorials (cleaning bottles)||Lolly wrappers|
|Hot chip boxes / packets||Junk mail||Medical waste|
|Meat - raw or cooked||Margarine tubs||Pens, pencils, felts, crayon|
|Paper hand towels||Milk bottles||Plastic wrap|
|Paper bags||Motor oil containers||Plastics - all flexible|
|Pizza boxes||Newspapers||Plate glass|
|Plant cuttings||Oil containers||Polystyrene meat trays|
|Shredded paper||Office paper||Pyrex|
|Takeaway food boxes||Paint tins - clean and empty||Styrofoam|
|Tea bags||Pet food tins - clean||Supermarket bags|
|Tissues||Phone books||Takeaway cups|
|Vegetable scraps||Plastics - all rigid plastics||Toothbrushes|
|Weeds||Sandwich spread bottles / jars||Toothpaste tubes|
|Wood - UNTREATED ONLY||Shampoo / conditioner bottles||Treated timber|
|Soft drink / water bottles||Vacuum dust|
|Steel / tin cans - clean||Waxed paper|
|Toilet roll inners||Window glass / mirrors|
|Yoghurt containers - clean|
- Food can be wrapped in newspaper, or purchase a biobin with biodegradeable liner from the Timaru District Council or Crow's Nest.
- Squash boxes and bottles to make more room.
- Ensure your recycling is clean! Humans have to sort it out.
- Put hot ash in metal can away from buildings for 5-7 days or or place on your garden for at least 3 days before emptying to red bin.
- Pay attention to weight - 80kg maximum.
- Please put the right items in the right bins.