This policy outlines the relationship between Council and the Friends Organisations.
Friends Organisations exist to support Council activities/sites with fund-raising, provide support and feedback to professional staff and assist in promoting the use and appreciation of the facilities/sites. They are a very much appreciated group of volunteers.
Current Friends Organisations include:
- Friends of Aigantighe
- Friends of the Library
- Friends of the Theatre Royal
- South Canterbury Historical Society (supporting the SC Museum)
*Friends of the Botanic Gardens is currently in recess.
3.0 Key Definitions
- Friends Organisation – a group of volunteers independent of Timaru District Council with a particular interest in the facility or site they support, who work alongside staff to grow the use and appreciation of that facility or site, and fund-raise for some non-budgeted items.
- All members of Friends organisations are volunteers. No wages, fees or honorarium are paid to the volunteers. No staff entitlements are applicable to the volunteers.
- Friends will nominate a key liaison person whose role is to keep management up to date with Friends plans.
- While staff will endeavour to accommodate the requests of Friends, these will be addressed by mutual agreement regarding costs, availability and suitability.
- Any management decision is final as management is responsible for the operation of the facility.
- There are no restrictions on new Friends Organisations being formed after discussion with appropriate Council staff.
Adopted Community Development Committee 22 March 2016