This policy is to allow a mechanism where halls and community centres can request a rate be established around the facility to fund the operation of the facility.
There are a number of halls and community centres across the district that are owned by non profit organisations. This mechanism for funding their activities allows the local community to bear the costs.
3.0 Key Definitions
- Community Centre Rating District – Area defined on a map that indicates all properties surrounding the hall or community centre that receive the targeted rate.
- That the minimum community support required before a Community Centre Rating District can be considered and established be 80% of the ratepayers within the particular area concerned.
- That the amount of the targeted rate be reviewed in conjunction with the communities five years from the date the rate is first set and thereafter every three years in conjunction with the preparation of the Long Term Plan.
- That Community Centre and Hall Committees be able to amend the amount of the targeted rate provided 80% of ratepayers in the Community Centre Rating District agree with the change.
- One ratepayer from each rating unit is able to represent the view of the ratepayers for the rating unit.
- New rates are only to be added in conjunction with the Council preparing a Long Term Plan.
- That 2% administration charge be received for all Community Centre Rating Districts.
Adopted Policy & Development Committee 13 June 2017
Publish Date: 27 Jun 2017