Council's Environmental Health Unit is responsible for monitoring and enforcing specific statutory standards relating to food safety, public and environmental health.
To achieve these responsibilities staff from the unit:
- Register and inspect food premises, camping grounds, hairdressing salons, funeral homes and offensive trades.
- Investigate claims of food poisoning/food-borne illness that are notified by the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI)
- Investigate health hazards and/or nuisances.
- Monitor and inspect premises licensed under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012.
- Monitor and enforce relevant statutory/regulatory/bylaw requirements.
- Review building consents and resource consent applications for compliance with environmental health standards.
- Provide information and advice regarding environmental health matters.
Our Environmental Health Unit also provides services to the Mackenzie and Waimate District Councils relating to food and liquor only. Application forms for Mackenzie and Waimate District registration are also available.
- To report a suspected case of food poisoning please contact Community and Public Health by phoning 03 687 2600
Publish Date: 28 Mar 2019