Published: 17 Nov 2022
Christmas is approaching fast and we would like you to be informed about the timelines and trading days for lodging licence applications – especially Special Licences.
Please note that between the following dates: 20/12/2022 to 15/01/2023 no applications can be processed. Take the time to go through the information below if you are planning to submit a licence application:
Timelines and trading days
The Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 specifies timelines, deadlines and non-working days that can impact on filing and assessment of alcohol licencing applications.
Working days for lodging of licence applications
The Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 defines a working day as a day that is not:
- A Saturday, a Sunday, Waitangi Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Anzac Day, the Sovereign's Birthday, or Labour Day; or
- A day in the period commencing on 20 December in one year and ending with 15 January in the next year.
Special licence applications for the summer 2022/2023
- If your event date is between 19 December 2022 and 28 January 2023, you must make your application by 21 November 2022 at the latest, to ensure it can be processed and granted and issued to you by 19 December 2022. This includes all special licence applications for Christmas and New Year’s Eve.
- If your event date is between 29 January 2023 and 13 February 2023, you must make your application by 4 December 2022 at the latest.
Waitangi Day 2023
- All special licence applications for Waitangi Day 6 February 2023 must be received by 4 December 2022.
We encourage you to apply early as this is our busiest period for processing applications. If you want the security of knowing whether your special licence will be granted, you should apply even earlier.
If you have any questions, please contact the licencing department on 03 687 7200, or email@example.com
Last updated: 17 Nov 2022