Published: 23 Oct 2020
2020 gave the world a shake up and there is no denying that some things are tough at the moment. Our routines have been turned upside down and some people are still finding their feet.
Despite everything that has been going on, we’re focused on keeping up the momentum on this project. Over the past few months, we have been carrying out research and doing the important groundwork needed to make this strategy a success.
We have also been looking at some ‘quick wins’ we can put in place to attract people to the CBD and make sure the people that are there know where to find what they are looking for – and things they didn’t know about. We’re looking at online marketing opportunities and new signage to help direct people to special places in the CBD, and we are considering changes we could make to bring community events into the town centre. We’ll update you more on this in the coming weeks.
We are holding workshops with key stakeholders to find out what they think is working, what’s not working and to find out more about their ideas for the CBD. We’ll use the information we get at these workshops to help shape themes and actions for the strategy, and report back to you as we progress
What will the City Hub Strategy do?
- Define the vision of the City Hub
- Identify elements that contribute toward achieving the vision through community and stakeholder engagement. Elements could include but are not limited to Inner City Living, Promotion and Events, Green - Open Spaces, Earthquake Prone Buildings, Regulatory Environment, Traffic Circulation/Pedestrianisation, Heritage and Streetscape.
- Develop the objectives and methods to achieve each element and act as a guide to various stakeholder groups, landowners, developers and infrastructure providers.
The Strategy will focus on several work streams with aspects being implemented now and in the future through the Long-Term Plan and external groups.
We will consult with iwi, stakeholders and the community throughout the project. Subject matter experts will be involved as required. If you would like to get in touch with the team or find out more, please contact us as below:
- Submit feedback online: https://www.timdc.govt.nz/cityhub
- Email us: email@example.com
- Write a letter and drop off or post it to the Timaru District Council, 2 King George Place, Timaru 7910.
- Call us: 03 6877469
- Talk to a District Councillor: https://www.timaru.govt.nz/councillors
Last updated: 24 Feb 2021