Published: 21 Mar 2023
Milford Hut Community
Information Notice – Possible Inundation
Due to the forecasted prolonged Wave Warning, there is a risk that the Opihi River mouth will close. The full lagoon combined with oncoming waves significantly increases the risk of overtopping of stopbanks and flooding.
- If the ECan ‘Opihi River mouth – stage only’ gauge reaches 3.3m we would recommend you evacuate to friends and family.
- If the ECan ‘Opihi River mouth – stage only’ gauge reaches 3.5m Timaru District Emergency Management will be evacuating the Milford Hut community due to the risk of inundation from the Milford Lagoon.
You can access the guage data here: https://www.ecan.govt.nz/data/riverflow/sitedetails/69603
Actions you should take:
- Ensure you know where you can evacuate to.
- Prepare your property for flooding.
- Ensure you have all necessary medications, documents and immediate possessions that can be transported in your vehicle.
- Ensure pets are prepared for evacuation.
- Inform friends/relatives of your movement and destination.
- Monitor your own situation and if you feel unsafe evacuate to friends and family overnight.
- Emergency information will be at Timaru.govt.nz or on the facebook.com/timarudc
Metservice Wave Warning for Waitaki River to Le Bons Bay
Valid from 3:00pm 21 March to 6:00pm 22 March
Combined Wave: Southerly combined waves rising to 5 to 6 metres early Tuesday evening, then easing below 3 metres late Wednesday afternoon. Peak period 11 seconds.
Last updated: 21 Mar 2023